NORMAL CYCLE OF HAIR GROWTH AND LOSS:
- Hair grows from the hair follicles, which is a small secretory cavity that is responsible for hair production.
- Each hair has its normal life cycle.
- Most of the hair on the scalp lasts for 2-3 years and grow about 1 cm a month.
- After this period of time hair comes to the end of its life and starts hair fall.
- Now the hair follicle rests for a short while and then starts to make a new hair.
HOW TO IDENTIFY HAIR LOSS?
- On an average, we lose 50-100 hairs a day. Its just hair going through it phases and it will be replaced by the new one.
- If it is more than 50-100 strands then it is considered as a hair loss.
Hair strands on your pillow.
More than the normal hair strands will be left out in your comb.
Foremostly, hair thinning is seen in hairline and on the scalp.
Hair on your towel after hair wash.
Women, when they pull back their hair may see their scalp than normal.
Loss of hair during shower.
In men hair tends to lessen from the forehead.
REASONS BEHIND THIS EXCESSIVE HAIR LOSS?
- If there is an excessive hair loss, consult a dermatologist.
HEREDITARY HAIR LOSS:
- Genes can be inherited either from the mother or father side.
- Most of the women suffer from thyroid problem resulting in the thinning of hair, hair fall, change in hair texture etc.
AFTER PREGNANCY/MAJOR SURGERY/DRASTIC WEIGHT LOSS:
- After a major stressful event like childbirth, surgery, accident or illness, the growth pattern of some hairs can be interrupted.
- This shows affect on the older hair and tends to fall earlier than its life cycle i.e., 3 years or so.
- After the effected hair has stopped its growth, it normally takes 1-3 months to fall out.
- Within few months, hair starts its normal pattern.
- This condition is known as Telogen effluvium.
- When we are under stress, involves a white blood cell attack on the hair follicles and body immune system attack on hair follicles as well.
- Hair fall under stress is not permanent.
- If you get your stress under control, hair might grow back.
SCALP SKIN CONDITIONS:
- Scalp which is unhealthy can cause inflammation which is difficult for hair to grow.
- Skin conditions include dandruff, itchy scalp, psoriasis and fungal infections such as ringworm etc.
- Medicines are designed to treat a variety of health problems, but sometimes it tends to unwanted side effects like hair loss.
- The severity of hair loss depends on the type of medication and dosage as well.
- It is a condition where the body’s immune system attacks hair follicles and appears as patches due to stress or illness.
- It is common in both men and women.
- Inherited from either of their parents.
- In women, pattern baldness affects the entire scalp.
- In men, pattern baldness occurs as patches.
- If male or female hormones are out of control leads to hair loss.
- During menstrual phase, there may be hair loss.
- Correcting this imbalance may stop your hair loss.
- Excessive styling of hair than required can also cause hair fall.
- Heating elements that we use for styling weakens the hair, causing it break and fall out.